6. Active government
Politicians must work to achieve long-term, bipartisan government commitment to Big Community:
- Articulate the vision for Big Community, grounded in human rights and the social model of disability, and counter resistance to it.
- Test and refine the economic, social, cultural and health rationales for Big Community and use the results to provide regulation and resources for Big Community.
- Fund social inclusion programmes with urgency and create a culture where social exclusion is unacceptable.
- Lead public acknowledgement of the harm done by Big Psychiatry and the State.
- Review mental health and related laws to comply with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Target and measure the growth of wellbeing as much as the growth of wealth.
- Invest in prevention and support in the first three years of life.
- Reduce the social determinants of distress, particularly early-life trauma, inequality, poverty, homelessness, and the impact of colonisation.
- Establish a Wellbeing Commission to oversee the transition to Big Community.